My sister came to visit this week, always nice to see her, so after some very welcome help in the garden I wanted to give her a quick, healthy lunch to fuel her back up. I don’t know if anyone else does this but I am forever ripping out recipes from magazines, putting my own twist on them then writing them up as my own! I pulled this from a copy of the Waitrose magazine and with my sisters input too its ended up nothing like the original which is great. I think this one is a new favourite, with thanks to my sister in particular for inspiring me not to just eat Avocado with a spoon or on a salad! I think even those that don’t like Avocado will like this sauce! Give it a try x
- 480-500g pack of turkey mince
- Salt and Pepper to season
- A lime
- 50g Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 4 Burger Buns (We used brioche buns as they are really soft and delicious)
- Half a pot of creme fraiche
- 1 very ripe Avocado
- 1 small white onion
- Half a red chilli chopped finely
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Cheddar Cheese, grated
To Make the Burgers
- Put the mince and bread crumbs into a bowl, along with salt, pepper and the juice of half a lime. Squish it all together until combined (Fun for the kids so long as they wash their hands after!)
- The mixture should make about 6 patties (or 4 larger ones), so evenly share out and form then place aside until cooking.
To Make the Sauce
Put the creme fraiche, avocado and lime juice into the blender and whizz it up. That simple. Season to taste if you wish.
To Make the Onions
- Thinly slice the onion, add to preheated oil in a wok or none stick pan (I use my wok for everything!) and cook on a medium heat until soft and slightly coloured (Think food stand burger onions!) Should take around 5 minutes.
- At minute or two before you finish cooking, add the chopped chilli. (We chopped them really small and they were not hot at all, my three year old did not notice any heat, just a nice flavour!)
Cooking the Burgers
In the same pan you cooked the onions in, fry the burgers. Should take around 10 minutes, turning every couple of minutes. They soak up all the flavour of the onions too!
I am not going to tell you how to combine it as everyone can do it and has their own personal preference! We topped these with iceberg and added grated cheddar cheese and the onions, smearing the lovely fresh Avocado sauce over both sides of the bun to soak in!
I could honestly eat about 6 of these! Will be making these weekly and it gets my daughter eating another form of green without complaining! So tasty! Enjoy x